Sunday, May 31, 2009

Parents Are Teachers

One day, a five year-old boy saw his father reading a book. To the kid’s interest, he asked his dad what he was reading. The father replied, “The Siege of Troy”. To the five year-old toddler’s curiosity, he asked again, “Dad, what is Troy?”

At this point, many fathers would reply, “Troy is a city in Asia Minor. Now run off and play.” But this father was different. There in the living room he built a “city” of tables and chairs. On top of the whole he put an armchair for a throne and popped the little kid on top of it. “There,” the father said, “That’s Troy and you’re the king. And let me see, here’s Helen of Troy, beautiful and sleek,” and pointed to the cat beneath the footstool. “Outside, you know, the big dogs in the yard are always trying to get in and catch Helen. They are attacking the kings, Agamemnon and Menelaus, and they are making a siege of Troy to capture Helen.”

This father told the story to the child in terms he could understand. 4 years later, his father gave him a copy of “The Siege of Troy” and encouraged him to start reading it.

Do you agree that parents are teachers? Parents, whether they like it or not, are always teaching their children. Whether beating, cuddling, worrying, loving or hating them, parents still teach their children. Children benefit from the examples and experiences with their parents. I always remember my Dad as a strict father. He used to have his leather belt as a tool to discipline us whenever anyone of us kids misbehaves. After my Dad came back home from his longtime absence at home due to overseas work, I remember him as the one who used to turn off the television right in the middle of our favorite evening shows. Then he will ask all of us to take out our Bibles and begun teaching us about different passages and stories. He did this on purpose everyday when everyone’s around. I always disliked my Dad for interrupting us watching our favorite television programs or while we’re in a middle of our playtime. Up to the point when many of us siblings find his voice monotonous and boring by evidently falling half asleep right in the middle of the studies – our eyelids felt like it weighed a ton. But my father tirelessly went on and on teaching the Bible and takes us to church every Sunday, and years had past until many of us completed our schools and he was already away working overseas again. My Mom carried on this legacy of my Dad since he left to work. But you know what? I ever wondered why my Dad would do such a thing, interrupt us for doing something we liked with something he thought was much more important? Why can’t he wait until we’re done watching TV, or done playtime? We criticize him for his way of discipline and training but in the end, we ended up not parting from it. What I thought was not so important before; today is something so valuable for me. And I thank my parents for that! I believe that even though my parents did not have that kind of wealth to give to us children, they have already given us the kind of wealth that not too many children had the privilege receiving. It is something of very high value which money cannot buy. It is the kind of wealth that cannot be stolen but can be shared and never runs out. It is the kind of wealth you can only get from the Word of God.

Now, what is that most valuable lesson you can remember your parents has taught you as a child? For those of you who are parents, I want to ask you this: What is the most valuable lesson you want your children to learn and practice? How would you like to be remembered by your children? Some of these lessons are perhaps about giving and sharing? How about patience? Obedience? Independence? Do you want your children to fear God and have more faith in God? (Proverbs 22:4). Children may criticize the advice and the kind of discipline they receive, attack it or even discard it for a time – but they will never forget it. You see, my Dad was teaching us through example that God should be first and foremost in everything we do. Whether our favorite show is on or our best buddies are around, God must always come first.

In these difficult days, parents have a greater responsibility than ever before for the spiritual training of their children. Give your children a firm foundation, a faith founded upon the rock, the rock Christ Jesus (Matt. 7:25). Parents, teach your children to love God and His ‘Word’, the Bible. The younger they are the better. “Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6. Sit down with them tirelessly and tell them about God the way they would understand Him. They may find it monotonous, boring and unexciting. But in the end the seed that you have planted in your children will grow and eventually will bear fruits.

And do not just send them to church – take them. Remember parents your example speaks louder than your words – always. To my Dad, Happy Fathers' Day! You are the greatest...!

Bible passage to read: Proverbs 22:6

“CHILDREN LEARN WHAT THEY LIVE;
CHILDREN LIVE WHAT THEY LOVE.”

2 comments:

  1. I think I should thank for my father who often brought me and sisters to the hill behind the Fire Station of Chai Wan Road. He taught us what kind of wild fruits we can eat and even picked up some baby bamboo and brought back home for boiling it with dried date as a sweet. As he made a very hard living at that time, that was the happy thing he could get to us for free. So there is no need to buy toys or gifts for your kids. The most important thing is to share some happy moments with your kids. Well, I also recall he brought me and my brother on a sampan for fishing outside Shaukiwan. He taught us how to fish and also the species of fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that. My father was not around often when we were growing up. He was working overseas and would see us once every two years until I was about in my early teens. We also had happy moments hnever he is around and get to know him. As kids, we go to barber shop to cut our hair with him. We also pick grey hairs from him and pay us 5 cents for each grey or white hair we collect. He taught me how to cook my first veggie meal and bring us to church whenever he's around.

    ReplyDelete